The main objective of LIFE LUNGS is to contribute to the implementation of the Municipal Strategy for Adaptation to Climate Change (EMAAC, 2017), particularly by promoting the city's resilience to rising temperatures and water scarcity
- Adapt the urban green infrastructure to events of extreme precipitation and flooding, through water management measures and improvement of soil cover;
- Increase carbon sequestration by promoting the creation of biodiverse rainfed meadows and increasing tree coverage;
- Promote the sustainability of urban green infrastructure through cost reduction, implementing natural-based solutions;
- Promote an ecological balance of urban green infrastructure, including biodiversity richness, soil conservation and hydrological cycle regulation;
- Reduce energy consumption;
- Promote replication and transferability of the project;
- Promote citizens' awareness and capacity building.